The Highfield Level 3 Award in Food Safety in Catering is a three day course, and is aimed at those working in the catering industry who are at or wish to progress to a higher or supervisory level.
Catering involves the preparation and handling of food for a group of people with a range of different requirements such as allergies or dislikes, so it is important to ensure your catering business has effective food safety procedures in place.
For restaurant owners, your staff will need to know about safe food handling practices, for example how to make sure hot food is kept at the correct temperature and how to avoid cross-contamination. Highfield Level 3 Award in Food Safety Course for Catering is designed to train supervisors to the highest standard of food safety.
Who should attend?
- Supervisors in a catering environment
- Anyone interested in supervising food safety practices
- People undertaking this qualification must be 16 years of age or above
What’s included in the course syllabus?
- The importance of food safety management procedures and complying with the law
- The role of the supervisor in maintaining food safety
- Ensuring that microbiological, chemical, physical and allergenic hazards are controlled
- Ensuring good temperature control and stock rotation
- The importance of ensuring good personal hygiene and preventing contamination, including handwashing, protective clothing, cuts, training and reporting illness
- Ensuring that work areas and equipment are kept clean and safe
- Ensuring safe waste disposal and pest management
- Implementing food safety management systems
How long does it take to complete?
This course is normally completed in three days, 20 contact hours.
What does the course fee cover?
- Training to national standards
- Manual/course materials
- Certificate on successful completion and assessment
How is the course assessed?
- Written multiple choice examination.
- Successful learners will have to demonstrate knowledge and understanding across the qualification syllabus and achieve a minimum pass mark of 60%